Sunday 9 October 2011

History of the UE-8

Since acquiring my Peugeot over a year ago I have been doing some research on its history.

Dating pugs apparently is a tricky business and can only be done by the type of badge and livery on the machine, the frame numbers do not give an accurate method of knowing when the bike was built.  Using cyclespeugeot I have identified it as model UE-8 dated  1976 or 1977.

Retro Peugeot has also proved to be an invaluable source of information on my (and many other) vintage pugs.

I can not find much UK based information but here's a little about the bike and its UO-8 sibling from the U.S.

The Peugeot AO-8 and its UO-8, UO-18, UE-8 and UE-18 siblings were entry-level and low-end bicycles sold in the United States during the 1960s and 1970s, especially in the early 1970s during the peak of the bike-boom .  These were commonly the first ten-speeds ridden by baby boomers.  As vintage bicycles, they do not garner the same respect as does their prestigious PX-10 cousin.

A few pictures from which I draw my inspiration from the Retro Puegeot site...


And a few brochure extracts of the UE-8 and UO-8




So for now I'm still stripping down but I think I have decided upon making this a fixed gear project.  I would like to retain as many parts as I can and intend to give the un required parts a good clean up and sell them on to other vintage enthusiasts looking to restore similar projects.

No comments:

Post a Comment